Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is one of the ethical pillars of business that addresses the role of companies in society. Corporate social responsibility encompasses a set of duties and obligations that a company must fulfill to preserve, care for, and assist the community in which it operates. The social responsibility of companies is linked to their responsibility towards society, individuals, and the environment in which they operate, extending beyond economic and financial considerations.
Social responsibility has its roots in the concept of sustainability. In other words, achieving sustainability and sustainable development goals can be facilitated through the fulfillment of corporate social responsibilities.
Sustainable development means integrating economic, social, and environmental goals to maximize the well-being of current humans without compromising the ability of future generations meet their needs. Sustainable development is a concept that has emerged as a result of the negative environmental and social impacts of one-sided economic development
approaches after the industrial revolution and a shift in human perception of the concept of growth and progress. In this regard, social responsibility is an essential part of project management and encompasses all stages from the initial phase to project implementation. Managers should consider the side effects of activities in addition to physical design, production specifications, and investment and allocate a portion of project resources to the social responsibility and ensure that the detrimental effects do not harm the surrounding environment.
The existential philosophy of Behineh Sazan Sanat Tasisat Company is to increase energy efficiency in order to achieve sustainable development for the country through the development and implementation of standards, providing innovative and technological solutions, and assisting in reducing the environmental impacts of human activities. In this regard, some of the company’s initiatives in carrying out its social responsibility are as follows:
- Innovation of the idea of technical inspection of Boiler Rooms to reduce energy consumption and industrial pollutants in this sector: The idea of technical inspection of Boiler Rooms was introduced by the founders of the company 1373 (1994) and extensive research was conducted on it until the establishment of the company in 1383 (2004). After the establishment of the company in 1383, its managers and founders made non-stop efforts to standardize and implement it, which ultimately led to the obligation of all government agencies to obtain technical inspections for their Boiler Rooms based on the INSO 16000, according to Article 17 the Clean Air Act and the decision of the Council of Ministers in 1396 (2017). As a result of the development and approval of this national standard, 18 companies succeeded in obtaining inspection certification in this field, leading to significant entrepreneurship in this area.
- The founders of this company established and developed the National Center for Testing and Research of Heating Systems in 1373(1994) at the Iranian Research Organization for Science and Technology. A portion of the initial cost of this laboratory was covered by their personal income. Currently, this center is managed by the Behineh Sazan Sanat Tasisat Company. It is worth mentioning that this center is the only accredited facility in the country for conducting tests related to boilers, burners, heaters, and similar combustion equipment.
- Since the establishment of the Iranian Combustion Institute (ICI), the founders and managers of this company have had extensive collaboration with the ICI to improve the performance of combustion systems. They have had crucial roles in ICI for several times. They have been members of the board of directors of the ICI, vice president of the ICI, and members of the recent term’s board of directors. They have also served as the secretary of the Industry Communication Committee. Additionally, this company has collaborated with the Training Committee and the Inventions Committee of ICI and has been involved in developing courses for Boiler Room experts and technicians. Currently, these courses are being conducted through the Iranian Combustion Institute and are one of the requirements for working in the field of Boiler Room technical inspection.
- Iran Association of Energy Service Companies was established in Khordad 1391 (May/June 2012) with the aim of organizing energy services in the country and establishing effective communication between the government and the private sector by a group of activists in the field of energy consumption optimization. The promotion of energy management protect national interests, resources, and the environment, as well as the development of public awareness and knowledge about energy services, collaboration with government agencies, policy-making bodies, and public institutions, are among the fundamental goals of this association. Since its establishment the Behineh Sazan Sanat Tasisat Company has been actively involved in the board directors of the association, striving to create professional convergence and synergy, empower energy services companies, develop the market, and pursue and uphold the rights of energy services companies.
- The founders and managers of this company consider active participation in technical and national committees for the development of national standards in the field of heating systems, combustion systems, and greenhouse gases as part of their social responsibility, and they have taken care to fulfill it. These standards include standards for heating boilers, radiators and connectors, air filters, fuel tanks, greenhouse gas management, and so on.
- Membership in the Energy Consumption Criteria and Energy consumption pattern modification Committee in the country’s poultry farms since 1389 (2010) has been another public service provided by this company, which led to the establishment of a laboratory for testing poultry heaters and assessing their quality.
- The “Behineh Sazan Sanat Tasisat” company has played a role as a consultant to the Department of Environment and the Institute of Standards and Industrial Research of Iran in discussions related to the establishment of the energy market, as well as in sessions and committees focused on developing guidelines for the energy market, measurement, reporting, and verification of carbon reduction actions (MRV).
- The founders of this company participated in the ISH Exhibition in Germany (held in
1383(2004), 1385(2006), 1387(2008), 1389(2010), 1391(2012), and 1393(2014) at their own expense with the aim of promoting awareness about upgrading combustion systems in the country. They aimed to stay informed about the latest advancements and technologies in this field worldwide and contribute to the country’s development in line with global progress.
- Organizing free training courses in relevant organizations in the field of Boiler Room inspection, energy optimization, CGS (City Gas Station) optimization, etc.
- Developing a ten-volume national standard for the installation, set-up, maintenance, and repair of gas-fired appliances in the residential sector.
- Participating in some gas association meetings on energy consumption optimization in heating systems.
- The “Behineh Sazan Sanat Tasisat” company has been collaborating with the Department of Environment since 1394 (2015). In addition to their cooperation in developing and implementing the Clean Air Act, they have jointly published the book “MRV Guide (Measurement, Reporting, and Verification) for Developing Countries.” This book, which has been fully funded by the company for translation and publication expenses, serves as a guide for measuring, reporting, and verifying actions aimed at reducing the environmental impacts of human activities.